As a result of COVID-19, STEAM School has adjusted offerings for Fall 2020 to include options for both virtual learning and weekly outdoor meetups/field trips. Current schedule options can be found on our registration page.
STEAM will be offering both online classes and in person meetups, with separate pricing so each family can register for the options that best suit their needs. Included in either option is access to a monthly STEAM Challenge, lego robot check-out, and STEAM’s Mystery Science and Brain Pop accounts. Prices, details and policies for each part of our plan are outlined below.
We will be hosting a parent technology training session before classes start to help all our parents navigate the programs needed at home this semester, and a second orientation training for kids to help them use it independently.
Cost: $50/family for the semester includes access to any/all classes
Details: Classes will meet primarily via Zoom on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 1pm (unless noted) and will last approximately 30 minutes. A full schedule can be found on our registration page. Classes for 5th grade and up will meet at 1:30 and last about 45 minutes. If a class is listed as a club, there will be a host teacher, however, these clubs will be socially focused and student-led. Regular classes will have more instructional focus, with the teacher directing projects and discussion.
- Please register in advance on Bloomz (our internal communications tool), teachers know who to expect. Please notify the teacher if you need to cancel.
- Registration for classes is first come first serve.
- Cost of instruction for any class is included with registration. Supplies needed will be provided by parents, and listed in the Bloomz description when you register.
IN PERSON FIELD TRIPS and ACTIVITIES
Cost: $100/Family for the semester, includes all field trips and supplies
Details: We will be meeting on TUESDAYS at 10:30am from September 8th-Nov 17th, and alternating between field trips and activities. All events and activities will be outdoors. If the weather is an issue, the rain date will be the following Thursday at 10:30, and an email will be sent notifying participants the night before. Some of the field trip dates and locations are still subject to change, and can be found on our registration page. All events will be structured in a way to accommodate social distancing, and we ask that you RSVP so we can do that effectively. We will continue in-person events as long as Virginia remains in Phase 3.
- All in-person parents will need to sign a waiver releasing STEAM school from liability and agreeing to adhere to our in-person policies.
- We will not be offering drop-off this semester, but you may choose arrange your own parent proxy with fellow steam parents
- All participants must wear masks to events, and agree to be vigilant with their proper use when in proximity to the group.
- All participants must wash hands or use provided hand sanitizer upon arrival. If the activity involves stations, participants must use hand sanitizer upon arrival. If we are at a pavilion or place with high touch surfaces, we will sanitize where needed before the event starts.
- All participants should maintain 6 feet of distance from people outside their family at all times. Parents or guardians are responsible for enforcing this during group activities.
- Our updated illness policy for respiratory illness, sore throats and/or fever is 72 hours symptom free before coming to a group activity. Please monitor your child’s symptoms and temperature directly before attending an event. If you or your child begin to show symptoms after arrival, we ask that you leave.
- If you have had exposure to COVID, do not attend events until 14 days after exposure remaining symptom free.
- If Virginia returns to phase 2, remaining in-person events will be cancelled, and $10/remaining event fee will be refunded to each family.
- In the event a member of our community tests positive for COVID, We will cancel meetups for at least 2 weeks or until the board votes to resume activities, and refunds will be made at the rate of $10/event cancelled.
While we understand that some of you may have personal objections to policies, our goals are to maintain the safety of our group and to reinforce our stated value of teaching ethical citizenship. We have set these policies to be in compliance with the CDC and state mandates for group gatherings, and to protect the people who will use the facilities after we leave. Taking these precautions will help us ensure that we can continue to meet throughout the fall, so for those of you who plan to join us in person, we thank you for understanding.
MONTHLY STEAM CHALLENGE
Price: Included with in-person and/or online instruction
Details: Each month we will have a new STEAM Challenge with prizes. Details for each challenge and a time for idea sharing will be hosted on Zoom at the beginning of each month. A teacher will be available on Zoom to discuss the project and help with problem solving from 12:00-12:30pm on Monday. Participant meeting in person can test their projects on the last Tuesday of the month, and those meeting online can test theirs at home with results certified and logged on Bloomz (our internal communications tool) by a parent. Competitions will be judged by a panel of parents and teachers. Winners will be decided for each age group and receive a $5 ice cream or equivalent gift certificate!
ROBOT CHECK OUT
Price: Included with in-person and/or online instruction
Details: The school has several robot kits which are available for checkout. Signups for this will be on Bloomz (our internal communications tool), and we will do our best to make sure everyone interested gets a turn. Families can check out each robot no more than one time for a period of 2 weeks. A teacher will be available on Zoom from 12-1 on Wednesdays and by email to help answer questions and problem solve. Robot kits will be available for pick up and drop off at the school on Mondays, between 12 and 2pm unless other arrangements have been made. Each kit will be sanitized and all pieces accounted for between families.
Kits available are…
Beginner: 1 codeapillar, 1 beebot, 1 botley
Intermediate: 2 lego WeDo robots
Advanced: 2 lego Spike robots
- Parents assume all liability and financial responsibility for robot parts and pieces that are lost or broken.
- A late fee of $1/day will be charged.
OUR STUDENTS We offer classes to kids in Kindergarten through 8th grade. Our belief is that kids do best when they’re understood and nurtured, and we aim to work as a team with parents to provide an environment where their child can thrive.
SPECIAL NEEDS We accept students with learning disabilities, ADHD, Sensory Processing Disorder, autism and other profiles that impact their experiences in our learning environment. We encourage parents and teachers to engage in ongoing dialogue about how best to nurture students. Our teachers design learning experiences with all their students in mind, including those for whom traditional classroom instruction might be a poor fit.